Voting in the By-Election
Only people who live or pay rates in the Western Ward will vote in this by-election.
Since more than one eligible candidate nomination was received, an election will be held by postal vote in late April.
Postal voting will open on 20 April and close at noon on 12 May.
Once you receive your voting papers, make sure you read the accompanying information, complete your voting document, and return it using the supplied postage-paid envelope. You'll also be able to drop off completed voting documents to the orange collection boxes at the Ashburton Public Library, Methven iHub or Ashburton District Council administration building.
Find out which ward you live in by searching for your address on the ward boundary map.
Are you enrolled?
If you are enrolled as a parliamentary elector you will automatically be placed on the Council’s electoral roll as a residential elector.
If you need to enrol or update existing name or address details on the parliamentary electoral roll you can:
- Visit vote.nz and use your New Zealand driver license, New Zealand passport or RealMe verified identity to enrol online.
- Call free 0800 36 76 56 and ask for a form to be sent to you.
If you’d like some help with the enrolment forms and checking your online details, please call into the Ashburton Public Library where staff are available to assist you.
What is the Ratepayer Electoral Roll?
If you pay rates on a property in a different area to where you live, you may be eligible to enrol on the ratepayer electoral roll. A company or society paying property rates can also qualify as a ratepayer elector.
If you think you are eligible, download the form below or grab a copy from the Council's administration office at 5 Baring Square West, Ashburton.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is special voting?
Special voting is available if:
- Your name does not appear on the final electoral roll, but you still qualify. For example, you may have enrolled after the roll closed.
- You did not get a voting paper that had been posted
- Your voting paper was spoiled or damaged
- You're going to be overseas during the election period
- You're on the unpublished (private) roll.
You will need to be on the electoral roll to request a special vote. To enrol, visit vote.nz, call 0800 36 76 56, or freetext your name and address to 3676.
Special voting documents will be available from the Ashburton District Council Office, 5 Baring Square West, Ashburton. You will need to complete a statutory declaration when you cast a special vote.
Who are we voting for?
Voting in this by-election is only open to those who live or pay rates in our district's Western Ward.
- You'll be asked to vote for a councillor to represent the Western Ward alongside Deputy Mayor Liz McMillan on the Ashburton District Council.
- The succesful candidate will also join the Methven Community Board.
Find out which ward you live in by searching for your address on our ward boundary map.
How will the voting work?
Just like the recent local elections, we'll be using the First Past the Post (FPP) voting system for this by-election, where the candidate who receives the most votes will be elected.
FPP does not use any sort of ranking system. Instead, you'll place a tick alongside the candidate you wish to vote for. As there is only one vacancy, you will only place one tick.
Find Out More
For more information about enrolling and voting, including other language options: